Life, in a lot of ways, is about finding balance. A little over a year ago, I was very “off” mentally and emotionally. I was not managing my mind in a conscious or intentional way, and as a result I was totally unaware that my emotional beliefs were so incredibly imbalanced. And I was even more unaware of how much it was affecting so many areas of my life. I was not open to any other perspective except the one I had been living in for so long. I was missing out on so many valuable life lessons because I was too wrapped up in my own emotional struggles. I had beliefs like… “I’m a hot mess and I’ll probably never get it together”, “I’m so emotionally jacked up, something is so wrong with me.”, “Life freakin sucks”, “I’m so angry at this person for their decision”, “I’m not the mom I should be”, and on and on. I believed all of these things. And ya know what? Its normal. It’s the way the human brain works without any help or direction.
I’ve said before that I believe we learn and experience things in life at the time we are meant to. And I got to a point in my life where I just knew it was time. It was time for me to figure things out. It was time to do some soul searching, to heal from past experiences, to understand life on a deeper and more inspired level. Things started really changing for me once I dove into my journey of self-help and life coaching. I’ll be forever grateful for that decision and for the lessons I’ve learned and experiences I’ve had because of it. They have changed so much in my life for the better. So I wanted to share 13 of the most valuable lessons that, once I truly understood, helped me to create more balance in so many areas of my own life. You may have already learned some of these lessons for yourself! And if you have, then just consider these below to be good reminders 🙂
As I wrote these, I started thinking a lot of my teenage and college years for some reason. How much heartache, guilt, and insecurity I probably could have saved myself had I understood these things and applied them at that point in my life. It makes me so grateful for my understanding of them now and that I’ll be able to teach my children these lessons as they grow.
1.YOU CAN/SHOULD ALWAYS VALIDATE YOUR CURRENT THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS, AND AT THE SAME TIME CHOOSE TO WORK ON CULTIVATING THOUGHTS THAT ARE MORE HEALING AND UPLIFTING FOR YOU.
2. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO FEEL IMMENSE GRATITUDE FOR EVERYTHING YOU ALREADY HAVE IN YOUR LIFE, AND AT THE SAME TIME STRIVE FOR MORE. IT IS TOTALLY OK AND EVEN HEALTHY TO WANT. IT’S WHAT KEEPS US CHANGING AND PROGRESSING.
3. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO COMPLETELY LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOURSELF AS YOU ARE, AND AT THE SAME TIME BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE THINGS YOU WANT TO IMPROVE ON. GO FOR IT!!
4. YOU CAN ADMIT THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU’RE GOING TO ACHIEVE A CERTAIN GOAL, AND AT THE SAME TIME STILL BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE IT ANYWAY.
5. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO COMPLETELY FORGIVE SOMEONE, AND ALSO CHOOSE TO CREATE BOUNDARIES TO PROTECT YOURSELF IN THE FUTURE.
6. YOU CAN CRY AND GRIEVE… AND STILL MOVE FORWARD, KNOWING THAT HEALING IS TAKING PLACE LITTLE BY LITTLE.
7. YOU CAN EXPERIENCE LOSS WITHOUT LOSING YOURSELF.
8. YOU CAN CHOOSE SOMETHING YOU’VE ALWAYS BEEN BAD AT, AND MAKE IT SOMETHING YOU ARE GOOD OR EVEN GREAT AT.
9. YOU CAN TOTALLY FEEL LIKE NOT DOING SOMETHING, AND STILL CHOOSE TO DO IT ANYWAY, SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT IS FOR YOUR GOOD AND THE GOOD OF OTHERS.
10. YOU CAN BE A COMPLETE HOT MESS AND AT THE SAME TIME KNOW THAT THE LORD ONLY SEES A WOMAN/MAN OF INFINITE WORTH AND POTENTIAL.
11. YOU CAN WATCH SOMEONE MAKE DECISIONS THAT YOU WOULD NEVER SUPPORT OR AGREE WITH, AND AT THE SAME TIME LOVE THAT PERSON AND ACCEPT WHERE THEY’RE AT IN THEIR JOURNEY.
12. YOU CAN BE REMEMBERED FOR CERTAIN THINGS IN YOUR PAST AND STILL CHOOSE TO NOT LET IT DEFINE YOU OR YOUR FUTURE.
13. YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN PEACE AND HAPPINESS REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN YOUR LIFE.
I invite you to add to this list! What are some of your most valued lessons or beliefs that help you create balance? 🙂 Thank you for always reading.
Feel free to follow me on Instagram @kenningtonmorgan 🙂